Author Topic: Linux - what level?  (Read 4515 times)

Unhban

Linux - what level?
« on: February 07, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »
Hi Guys. This forum has been going since the Elonex was first released last September and now the forum seems to be gathering speed with what can and can't be done with E.

I wouldn't like to get anyone involved where they don't want to be, but just thought it may be helpful in some way for old hands and new users of this forum to say what sort of level they're at with Linux itself.

So post, if you like, that with Linux you're either:

o  an absolute noob
o  a beginner
o  a bit more than a beginner
o  intermediate
o  know your way round Linux like the back of your hand.

Unhban

Re: Linux - what level?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2009, 02:53:35 PM »
So.... with trepidation, I'll go first!

I'd say I'm a bit more than a beginner, but certainly not intermediate. Know my way around things a little and how things work, but still come unstuck!  ;D

Leven2e

My Linux level -Noobism
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2009, 03:09:39 PM »
I guess I'm an absolute noob,albeit I am not sure yet what it means..
Edit:googled it,now I know it's a newbie :-)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 03:11:11 PM by Leven2e »

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2009, 04:03:43 PM »
Leven2e i'll say me (anbd you) are about the same level, and i consider myself a beginner

Artus Irbe

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2009, 04:17:25 PM »
Yeah, i am an absolute noob. First and only encounter with linux was the one.
You are defo not a noob you two...

utd_grant

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2009, 12:03:09 PM »
I guess I'm more than a beginner, as I've been using Ubuntu 8.04 on my home PC for quite a while now. Had to recompile ndiswrapper to get a WiFi dongle working on my laptop and was successful (eventually !). I've put myself down as 'Working towards Intermediate'. Not a guru by any means, but not fazed by having to go into the terminal and hack stuff about, either.

wicknix

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2009, 06:22:00 PM »
I don't want to date myself, but i started using linux back at kernel 2.0.20, which puts me back to 1996. I'll put myself just below 'guru' status. My most resent project before this was developing a userland and packages for jlime (jlime.com) which replaced the old windows CE OS on HP jornada 720/728 and NEC mobile pro 900c handheld pc's. Before that i was big on the QNX OS and had ported a good 20 or so linux applications over to it. And to go back in time... my first computer was a commodore 64 (which i still have).

Programmer and kernel hacker i am not. Just one hell of a tinkerer with a good understanding of how things work.  ;D

Leven2e

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2009, 08:42:51 PM »
Leven2e i'll say me (anbd you) are about the same level, and i consider myself a beginner
Hi am truly noob,I don't have any Linux knowledge whatsoever.But I like trying things and Google is a good friend of mine.

Mnet

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2009, 09:20:47 PM »
The last post by wicknix might as well have been written in Greek, which puts me at 'Joey' level (very poor) - I'm old too, which makes it worse  :-[

I did get somewhere with Samba on Redhat years ago (using Linux as a Windows file and print server)

First computer was a ZX81

Rickiebear

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2009, 06:15:37 PM »
Well I'm less than a beginner. I have recently bought a Minibook from Maplin, I tried to use it this morning and turned it off after an hour. I home one of the boys will be able to help me out later.

Wildheart Baby

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 11:38:22 AM »
I've had some experience with linux, I tried to get to grips with red hat 9. I installed unbuntu and ran a personal web/file server.

I'd consider myself beginner.

billibin

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 11:08:36 PM »
linux system administrator
compiling experience

dan1123

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2009, 10:38:39 PM »
I would say I'm experienced.  I've compiled quite a few kernels, but I'm new to the embedded area.  Never quite got cross-compiling working in earlier projects (like the ZipIt wireless toy).  Developed small toy programs in Qt and GTK.  Been using linux since 1997, created a basic driver in college, but nothing more in the low level realm.