Author Topic: Additional Monitor  (Read 4384 times)

Rickiebear

Additional Monitor
« on: February 06, 2009, 02:47:39 PM »
I have a Minibook from Maplin, it has 3 USB ports. Can I connect to a larger monitor, and if so how?

Artus Irbe

Re: Additional Monitor
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2009, 05:21:43 PM »
Hi, errm, i know that most monitors won't work becasue we lack a VGA cable, but if we can get a USB cable then that is great the only thing is the GUI may still be 7 inches or worse, pixelate madly.

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2009, 08:28:16 PM »
would still be great, if somebody could post a tutorial on how to made a usb-vga or usb-av cable, that would be great, i could set my projector up

Leven2e

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 09:55:04 PM »
how? USB monitor? is it existing?

Rickiebear

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2009, 03:32:37 PM »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/22-Asus-Monitor-With-Dual-USB-MONITOR-SUPPORT-VW223B_W0QQitemZ370104564008QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Computing_ComputerComponents_Monitors?hash=item370104564008&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1690|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318

Thank for this site, I have looked them up. They also have a lot of different cables. Although not sure about a 15 pin DVI-D, (which I think is what I want) to USB. Another question then is will the Linux software allow it to work?

Unhban

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 04:21:52 PM »
Another question then is will the Linux software allow it to work?
Think USB monitor support has to be built-in to the kernel (OS) when it's compiled. Not sure how we'd find that out, but I'm guessing if there is a module in .../.../.../modules dir. somewhere then they wouldn't include the module unless the pointer to it was built in to the kernel. If so it should just then detect the monitor when plugged in, but guys... this really is all a bit off the top of my head  ???
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 04:26:25 PM by Unhban »

bafni

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2009, 09:48:58 PM »
It's a system called DisplayLink. www.displaylink.com

The hardware support is in the monitor or a splitter box.

Mac & Win2k and above drivers are on their website but no Linux, although it says in their knowledge base that they are looking at support for other OSs.

mewtwo

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2009, 01:06:50 AM »
You can't connect a Monitor to usb - as already said, there are USB graphic cards by DisplayLink, but there are two issues:
- they recently added Linux support, but so far that's just a library, the Linux driver is work in progress, I'd expect it in Linux 2.6.31 or 32, may not work so well with Linux 2.4.20 in the minibook.. (But maybe we'll get a up to date kernel till then ;) )
- USB 1.1 That's the biggest issue. It's just not fast enough to transfer the Image in real time - and the SoC is probably not fast enough to process the video stream as well. USB GPUs are a rather slow and CPU intense thing on real computers, so there is no real chance to get this working in a sane way.
On the other hand, according to the data sheet, there are plenty of general I/O pins on the SoC - there have been some software VGA implementations on some microcontrollers, so maybe you can..  ::)