Author Topic: New distro coming soon  (Read 40479 times)

wicknix

New distro coming soon
« on: February 05, 2009, 06:46:40 AM »
Hello everyone! First post, but its a BIG one.   ;D

I have been working on a better userland/distro/desktop for my alpha-400 a few weeks now. I contacted Menno at littlelinuxlaptop.com awhile back and he will be hosting/linking to the download as soon as i finish it up and send it. You may have seen a screenshot on the trendtac forums using IceWM. I scrapped IceWM in favor of JWM as its even lighter on resources.

I managed to salvage the default gui apps to connect to wifi, lan etc along with the package installer and some other things. I also got it to auto mount and unmount sd and usb devices! Currently the only drawback is i cant get an accurate battery reading as the system doesn't seem use normal apm. Xip must have built some generic battery applet (it was never really accurate to begin with). Will continue to look into that.

I'm at the bug fixing and beautifying stage now and hope to have this released to littlelinuxlaptop.com very soon (2 weeks or less i'm shooting for). I also registered #littlelinuxlaptop on irc.freenode.net for those who may want to chat on irc about these unique machines. Hopefully we can get enough users to hang around on it and share info.

Current desktop screen shot:

Leven2e

Re: New distro coming soon
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2009, 09:44:54 AM »
Hi,I  can't wait to try it out,sound very promising!

Artus Irbe

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2009, 11:52:21 AM »
Oh my word, you kept that under wraps for a long time :D but yeah you may well of made me not get an acer aspire one or atleast keep the elonex for my self... :P But like leven2e said, it does look very promicing and well done for regestering the #littlelinuxlaptop... this is all very good. can i ask, is it like the Xinium(?) distro that can only be installed with a .img file or is it for us .rec elonex users too *crosses fingers* well done looking forward to playing about with it...

utd_grant

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 01:49:29 PM »
That looks utterly breathtaking !  What a fantastic project. I can't wait to give it a whirl once it comes out.

Out of interest, will it have any support for Flash Video, either directly through the browser or in a stand-alone app like VideoOnLine ? The only thing I feel missing on my OneT is access to YouTube (oh, and a BitTorrent client would be nice, too !).

The more I look at that screenshot, the more amazed I am. Stunning !   :o

emmerick

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 04:09:39 PM »
hi,
can you please already upload it? with the bugs?
when you corrected the bugs we can download it again :)
please ? i really want it !  :)
thnx

wicknix

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2009, 02:46:07 AM »
Where to start....

First off, no i wont upload it until its completely finished. The main reason being is i dont have broadband internet access. I'm just tethering my desktop to my cell phone. I wont waste the data or the time trying to do so as it would take forever to upload 125 meg at a max 20kb/sec.  ::)  There's an old saying.. Good things come to those who wait.

Yes VideoOnline is installed, but non patched as i cant legally distribute 'cracked' software. All you'd have to do is grab the patch found on this forum and install it. Being that i based this on the default OS i kept everything fully compatible. That means any update/patch released by CnM, Skytone etc will install flawlessly as will any .xap packages. Obviously the theme packages wont work however.  :P

Currently it'll only be released as an .img as i havent figured out what was used to create the .rec files. According to 'file' on linux the .rec is a VMS Alpha executable which really has me confused. I dont see why an .img wouldnt work though as my alpha400 can flash both .img and .rec with no problems as long as i use an SD card. Neither seem to work via USB.

Cheers.

doobe

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 11:22:07 PM »
Currently it'll only be released as an .img as i havent figured out what was used to create the .rec files. According to 'file' on linux the .rec is a VMS Alpha executable which really has me confused.

I'm pretty sure the .rec files are jffs or jffs2 images

wicknix

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2009, 09:23:24 AM »
Cool i'll look into jffs/jffs2.

In the meantime i got a GameBoy emulator working.  ;D

Jay

• Administrator
    • Unofficial Elonex One / Onet User Blog
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2009, 09:29:34 AM »
Looks great..keep us posted!

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 10:21:11 AM »
if im right on thinking any program that works with this should work with elonex os , right?
if so can you tell me how to get the gameboy emulator working

kenny80

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 10:30:01 AM »
would you please send me link for video online patch.thankyou.

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 10:47:10 AM »
this will be hot news, don't give up

Leven2e

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 11:08:47 AM »
would you please send me link for video online patch.thankyou.

;D

emmerick

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 08:20:48 PM »
HI wicknix ,
your Distro will be an revolution in the history of mini linux laptops , really!
A bittorrent client, emulators , good working video online, windows like desktop.
I almost cant wait , how long is it gonna take for it to come out? do you got an date?
please tell me !
I really wanna try it out!
REALLY!!! ;D :) ;) :D 8) :o :(

Leven2e

Screensots
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2009, 08:45:56 PM »
I found some more pictures from wicknix to get you even more excited :-) Sorry,without wicknix's permission,but natuirally I delete this post if wicknix insists.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2009, 08:49:24 PM by Leven2e »