Author Topic: Movies/Videos?  (Read 10258 times)

CnMC

Movies/Videos?
« on: February 03, 2009, 03:03:59 PM »
Hey, got the CnM book here, anyone know the best video format that doesn't stutter or stop producing sound? Also can someone tell me what sizes should i compress the video e.g audio, picture quality etc... and with what software, Thanks.

Leven2e

Re: Movies/Videos?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2009, 09:22:36 PM »
take a look around in the forum mate.
The Hun.

utd_grant

• This is not me (sorry to disappoint !)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 10:41:19 AM »
I've just joined the forum today. I'm having a blast with an Elonex OneT that I got for Xmas, and I hope to learn lots of great stuff here. I've already put new games on and added the terminal and nedit (I'm a software engineer by day !). I downloaded the entire source code for the operating system, so that'll be fun (!) to browse through at my leisure.

I don't know if it's been mentioned before (Haven't had the time to browse the entire forum just yet  :)  ), but I use a piece of Windows freeware called Format Factory to get videos playing nicely with Media Player. You can download it here:

http://www.formatoz.com/

My method is as follows:

Click "All to AVI" on the left-hand panel. A pop-up window appears.
Click "Add file" on the pop-up. A browser window opens.
Navigate to your input file (which can be in almost any video format) then press "OK".
Now click on "Output Setting".
Choose 'Mobile Device Compatible 320x240'.
Click on 'Bitrate' and set it to 128. All the other parameters are within the recommended limits by default.
Click 'OK'. Click 'OK' again to return to the main window.
Click on 'Option' at the top of the window.
Click 'Change' beside Output Folder.
Navigate to your chosen output folder, click 'OK', then click 'Apply' to return to the main window.

Click 'Start' and it'll perform the conversion. It takes a few minutes on a decent PC to crunch all that data, but you end up with about as good a quality movie file as you can expect. Lots of movement in the picture causes it to break up a bit, but I find it good enough for watching in bed or letting the kids watch stuff in the car. If I find any better settings, you'll be the first to know.
Elonex ONEt: user since Xmas 2008.
OS Version: ELX-V07 + extras
Ubuntu: user since May 2008.
Windows:  user/programmer since the dawn of time. :)
Linux Level: working towards 'Intermediate'.

CnMC

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2009, 11:34:23 AM »
Thank you very much! It worked perfectly, anyone want movies and vids on their Minibook but aren't sure what to do I recommend this method. Thanks for your help!  :D

CnMC

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2009, 11:37:28 AM »
Oh, and I really hope you enjoy your Elonex!

Jarvbloke

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2009, 05:12:23 PM »
Hello Everybody
I have just downloaded the video converter and I will try it at 128 bitrate, I am still waiting for my Elonex Onet from idealworld so I cant test it yet. However  I currently play 'pin sharp' 320 x 240 WMV's on my PDA all te time on trains and buses. I use  Cucusoft Video DVD converter they are very high res, usually about 500MB in size. but they play perfectly If I need more SD space I then re do them in Windows Movie Maker and save them at a  lower quality.

The only thing I don't understand is how come my Medion 250ppc  which has a  much slower processor than the webbook can handle the graphics rate no problem? 

ezion

• noob on nux
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2009, 01:06:39 AM »
Walking on thin ice....
Reading up on the video playback capabilities me suspects the problem lays not with the cpu power needed to decode but with the refresh rate of the LCD screen.
LCD refresh might be under 30 frames/second, as small movies do play ok 15 f/s seems like the lower limit.
At these low refresh rates it helps to have the frame rate of the movie and LCD refresh rate to match up, otherwhise you get jerkyness.

As a friend borrowed my scope I won't be able to test this hypothesis before next weekend.
Will start a new topic when I know the LCD refresh behaviour as this is a issue for both movie encoding and when writing software.

Wildheart Baby

• Is that a niner I hear.
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2009, 05:54:41 PM »
This will be very useful information, it might be an idea to make it a sticky topic as well.

brassneck69

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2009, 03:42:19 PM »
Thanks for the guide utd, I look forward to giving this a try.

Beejay

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 01:48:58 AM »
No you wont I found the video was smaller than my phone screen and worse quality! any other ideas?

utd_grant

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 12:45:14 PM »
No you wont I found the video was smaller than my phone screen and worse quality! any other ideas?

Were you playing it in full-screen mode ? The quality isn't great, but I find it good enough for watching something on the move.

Beejay

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2009, 10:47:52 PM »

Were you playing it in full-screen mode ? The quality isn't great, but I find it good enough for watching something on the move.
No for some reason in full screen the movie stuttered like heck and the sound was out of synch...

I did exactly as you suggested but have just resorted to using my Lg viewty for movies on the go now...

What do you reckon the problem is? surely my phones processor isn't more powerful than the mini laptop?

utd_grant

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 12:41:26 PM »
No for some reason in full screen the movie stuttered like heck and the sound was out of synch...

I did exactly as you suggested but have just resorted to using my Lg viewty for movies on the go now...

What do you reckon the problem is? surely my phones processor isn't more powerful than the mini laptop?

Stuttering usually happens as a result of too high video framerate or bitrate. If you set them as described above I can't really say what the problem is - every movie I've converted to date using these settings has worked. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Beejay

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2009, 05:16:14 PM »

Stuttering usually happens as a result of too high video framerate or bitrate. If you set them as described above I can't really say what the problem is - every movie I've converted to date using these settings has worked. Sorry I can't be of more help.
No worries bud. Thanks anyway, like someone mentioned above it could be the screen at fault...

Sprocket

• Happily running from one crisis to another.
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2009, 11:30:03 PM »
Just had my first go with that. Ace, mate! Thanks! ;D (I expect the kids will still cause havoc in the car, but this'll do until tranquiliser darts are legal). ;)