Author Topic: Limewire/Bittorrent  (Read 8743 times)

ThatWikiGuy

Limewire/Bittorrent
« on: January 11, 2009, 01:46:49 PM »
Can somebody recompile limewire or a bittorrent program so i can do downloads? Thanks.

ThatWikiGuy

FTP
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 08:04:44 PM »
Is there a FTP client for the elonex?

Mnet

Re: Limewire/Bittorrent
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 09:17:12 PM »
I've used gFTP with no problems - downloaded from www.cnmlifestyle.com - direct link - http://194.150.201.35/cnmlifestyle/downloads/gftp.htm

Regards

Artus Irbe

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 12:55:58 PM »
Right time for a stuipd question. gFTP same as Limwire/bit torrent in terms of downloads stuff on to the Elonex?

Wildheart Baby

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2009, 01:35:57 AM »
No, they are different technologies.

gFtp is for uploading to and downloading from file servers or other computers.

Limewire is a peer to peer program, where you download a file and then share it with other users.

Bit torrent is similar except you download pieces from other people as they download from you, it then relies on you continuing to share the file you've downloaded.

Artus Irbe

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 12:43:53 PM »
So the techs are differant but the possibilitys are the same, find a file, and download it. the differance being where you get it from? yay or nay?

if so the LLL has become teh best.

also some instructions on using gFTP would be great. ta.

Unhban

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2009, 01:31:33 PM »
I was just trying to think why an ftp program would be used now instead of a browser which nowadays does the same thing. FTP started when the internet started (or before) and it stands for file transfer protocol, then there were no graphical browsers, they were text based. But as browsers were developed, and suddenly Internet Explorer became available, they allowed downloading of files, so no need for an FTP program.

For those interested, there are other protocols - TCP (transfer control protocol) and IP (internet protocol). These two, basically, run the internet's data.

I've not seen gFTP but most FTP programs these days are intuitive so why not have a play around with it....  :o

EDIT: the one thing you can do with an FTP program (whereas a browser can't necessarily - depends on the web site) is put files onto a web site (once you've logged in).
« Last Edit: January 29, 2009, 02:09:48 PM by Unhban »

Mnet

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2009, 02:39:12 PM »
I use gFTP to create a form of networking with my Windows PC - I set up a freeware FTP server on the Windows machine, with the shared directory being the My Documents folder - I can then log into the Windows machine using the gFTP client with the Minibook and access the files (using the Windows PC IP address as the name of the remote host).

It works well.

I use on the local LAN, but the service could be opened on the firewall/router to enable remote access from anywhere.

Regards

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2009, 07:21:46 PM »
i've downloaded this, battery is recharging on a (very) dodgy charger, once thats done ill install it.

wicknix

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2009, 12:58:53 AM »
There is a bittorrent client and a gnutella client in my (currently unreleased) distro.

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2009, 10:24:00 AM »
when you upload your distro, can you upload this program separately also?

Leven2e

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2009, 10:55:30 AM »
 :)

Artus Irbe

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2009, 11:05:38 AM »
Hi, Can i ask which client it is? Your sreenie showed a UTorrent logo, but i thought it hadn't been compiled yet... :S Also could i ask *off topic* when did you start making this distro?

wicknix

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2009, 09:58:12 PM »
First priority is releasing this distro, after that if some of you want seperate packages i suppose i could package up a few things.

Currently using cTorrent, but am still looking into other bittorent clients. I did implement full python support and i noticed a few nice torrent clients written for python, so not sure what will be the default torrent client yet.

And last question.. i started this about 5 weeks ago. January 6th to be exact.

Lochban

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2009, 12:28:19 PM »
Hi guys would i be right in thinking ftp the only way to file share ? is there
no samba or netbui or tcp/ip support ? hell even win3.1 suported network file & folder shareing