Author Topic: M&S to sell Elonex Netbooks  (Read 7528 times)

rmotters

• My blog on the things I am doing with the ONEt
M&S to sell Elonex Netbooks
« on: January 07, 2009, 02:27:11 PM »
Looks like Elonex has an agreement with Marks & Spencer to sell their netbooks.

http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2009/01/07/elonex_netbooks_on_high_street/

Jay

• Administrator
    • Unofficial Elonex One / Onet User Blog
Re: M&S to sell Elonex Netbooks
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 07:34:05 PM »
Yes, I'd spotted that from this article on the telegraph website yesterday.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/ces/4143800/CES-2009-Netbooks-in-MandS-for-99.html

Interesting note about remote access there...

tonyk

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 11:56:34 PM »
I guess it'll keep this forum busy ;)
Onet + 4GB Transcend SD card

Leven2e

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2009, 12:22:30 AM »
do u think so?I hope there will be plenty enthusiastic people with the aim of compiling everything for us!!
;D
The Hun.

tonyk

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2009, 10:38:34 AM »
do u think so?I hope there will be plenty enthusiastic people with the aim of compiling everything for us!!
;D

I hope so too, but I won't get my hopes up this time!

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2009, 12:14:43 PM »
I think this'll be a 'very good thing' as things will have to work properly for the general public, so we hopefully will get a number of patches to make it work and have features like a PC! :)

I see Next are to sell it too....

« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 12:18:26 PM by Unhban »

tonyk

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2009, 01:11:46 PM »
I think this'll be a 'very good thing' as things will have to work properly for the general public, so we hopefully will get a number of patches to make it work and have features like a PC! :)

I see Next are to sell it too....

Well Elonex have been apparently selling their machines through Littlewoods online and we've seen no major improvements, but with a shop floor presence I hope you're right. Otherwise people will be returning these by the bucket load with problems like turning themselves on in handbags, not 'doing YouTube' or not turning on at all.

As for them being like Blackberries, I do think Elonex's marketing is slightly mad. Are they targeting at children (oops, no educational software), women or mobile users who might want a slightly bigger screen and keyboard? I can't see how you can even start to compare a netbook to a smartphone...

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2009, 01:34:48 PM »
Agreed completely, and especially why they'll be returned!

But I wouldn't have thought that M&S nor Next would be taken in so perhaps we can look forward to new software? However, as the price is to be £99 is it just the x86-processor Elonex 1 that is to be sold, which has easier possibilities for software change than the 1T.....

tonyk

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 01:46:14 PM »
I don't think the price is really any clue to the processor. I think Elonex will just sell their netbooks at what ever price they think they can sell them at. The Onet went up from £99 to £119 before Christmas, and I expect it'll fall again soon. If it's x86 inside it might be a sensible move, although I've read some people have tried installing other distros on the Elonex One (like Damn Small Linux, Puppy) and failed, so I don't know just how compatible it is. Having said that, if it makes it easier for Elonex to get updates out for things like video playback and flash then it's a good move.

What scares me is the article suggests some models will sell for £200 - will they be gold plated I wonder?!

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2009, 03:37:24 PM »
*Chuckle*

Another thing that's going to confuse people silly is that SD cards have to be FAT formatted and not FAT32.

Mind you, with the Large Drive Support Driver can an SD card be FAT32 then? Never tried....

Leven2e

FAT32
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2009, 09:09:25 PM »
yes,my 8gb SDHC is FAT32.Why not? I am confused now..
The Hun.

Jay

• Administrator
    • Unofficial Elonex One / Onet User Blog
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2009, 08:03:37 PM »
I've just had a comment posted on the blog saying that the Websufer is the same spec as the OneT+.  This could well be great news if it increases the software available from Elonex.

http://elonexone.org.uk/2008/12/26/new-elonex-one-on-its-way/comment-page-1/#comment-106

tonyk

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2009, 08:59:56 PM »
That's good news for the platform if it's true!