Author Topic: Change the shut down screen  (Read 7798 times)

Jay Turner

Change the shut down screen
« on: December 31, 2008, 10:18:39 PM »
The current shut down screen is at /share/pixmaps/LogOut_Paper.bmp just save over it with another image

I havent found the startup screen or the config file that uses these images but you might be able to just save a new img in /usr/share/pixmaps/LogOut_Paper.bmp
Elonex OneT + Software hacks + 4Gig SD card

Tinkerer

Re: Change the shut down screen
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2009, 09:40:16 PM »
I don't know where the startup screen is either, but (on the CnM model at least) there is a uImage.png file distributed with each update, so as to change the version number in the corner.  If you edit this file before your next rebuild -- voilà, custom startup screen.

Jay Turner

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 04:43:03 PM »
I don't know where the startup screen is either, but (on the CnM model at least) there is a uImage.png file distributed with each update, so as to change the version number in the corner.  If you edit this file before your next rebuild -- voilà, custom startup screen.
my version numbers always been the same and i looked in /share/pixmaps/ there is no uImage.png. is the system update on cnm's website (I use elonex)

Leven2e

version number
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 08:57:00 PM »
my version number stays the same too. (V64)

And it makes me sad.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 09:00:48 PM by Leven2e »
The Hun.

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 05:38:16 PM »
If you want to hunt for .bmp files go to the command line using XTERM and type:

find . -name \*.bmp | more

In fact there are only two .bmp files but there are thousands of .png ones! I couldn't be bothered looking through them all so if you want to have a scan use:

find . -name \*.png | more

Use the space bar to scroll.

Enjoy!
« Last Edit: January 14, 2009, 05:50:39 PM by Unhban »

glassjaw

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 09:28:28 AM »
I found the same image at /share/pixmaps/LogOut_Paper.bmp but could not list the folder contents within the shell (xterm or even the CTRL-ALT-F3 as root option) = Always got error 'Segmentation Fault'.  I used the web browser and got the the image that way.

I then right clicked the image, save as and saved it to USB.  Once I edited the image in Adobe Fireworks, I saved it back to USB and then found that since I could not list the folder in the shell I would have to use some method to send the file there.  To do so I used the shell and typed:

cp /USB/USB_1/LogOut_Paper.bmp /share/pixmaps

This took the file from the USB drive and copied it to the appropriate place in the Laptop.  Works a treat.  I am also looking for the start up image but assume that it is well hidden.  In order to try and find it I used the find command and sent it to a file to look at when I have the time.

find > /USB/USB_1/allfiles.txt

I will report back if it is editable.

Jay Turner

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 04:23:05 PM »
can i have a copy of your shut down screen?

glassjaw

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2009, 02:39:59 PM »
no its crap and has my face on it ;-(

glassjaw

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2009, 04:00:01 PM »
It looks like the startup screen is part of the uboot thing - some sort of kernel update image that launches from the sd card only.  In order to change the image you would need to understand how to make a uboot or at least edit it so it only changed the image.  The image itself is probably (but I know know for sure) stored in the eprom flash somewhere and not editable by normal means.  A bit like the post image on most PCs the bios can be flashed and this is when the image is changed, only at these special flash/upgrade times.

Anyone looked at uboot images?  I tried the ingenics website where the processor is made and they offer lots of cross-compiler stuff and uboot stuff for the processor but the docs are in chinese and im not that smart.  :-(

thcrw739

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 04:44:44 PM »
Actually,

It's in the uImage/kernel .

There's a thread somewhere on the Hyves trendtac board, or was it here?
I don't remember now, but it was about dismantling the kernel, changing the image with your custom one & and putting it back together, then when you flash it to the machine, the boot picture will change.

That's why the newer kernels from CnM say CnM book @ boot, Elonex says Elonex..  etc

« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 04:51:59 PM by thcrw739 »

dan1123

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 07:01:39 PM »
The startup image is a PPM bitmap file that is in the kernel itself.  You have to re-compile the kernel to get a new one to be displayed.

More info here: http://www.articleworld.org/index.php/How_to_change_the_Linux_penguin_boot_logo

Leven2e

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 08:52:03 PM »
Yeah,but why does it need to be changed,when someone switches it off anyway?
The Hun.

oldbloke

• Hemel Hempstead
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2009, 03:28:52 PM »
Yeah,but why does it need to be changed,when someone switches it off anyway?
Because it is there  ;)
I know I have my brain backed-up somewhere............