Author Topic: External Hard Drives  (Read 9763 times)

sleepie

External Hard Drives
« on: September 07, 2008, 11:48:17 PM »
Foe info

Tried connecting USB external Hard Drive, it recognised that a device was connected but couldn't read it.  However it did recognise a memory card reader.

Sleepie   

Arakis

Re: External Hard Drives
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 06:49:59 AM »
Tried connecting USB external Hard Drive, it recognised that a device was connected but couldn't read it.  However it did recognise a memory card reader.

Might be worth mounting the dive on another system, maybe a windows one, and then making sure it's unmounted properly.  I've foud that ubuntu will often refuse to mount drives that have not been shutdown properly.

Phyl.

thekanester

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 08:45:10 AM »
I tested mine with a 30GB Venture MP3 player, which also acts as a USB HDD and it worked fine. I was able to play music and video (badly) from it as well as view pictures stored there.

I can't remember off-hand how it was formatted, probably FAT32. I haven't tried with an NTFS system. It's possible that it won't work with that, since it's licensed to Microsoft, and for a hundred pound laptop I don't think they'd want to add that license fee to the overall cost.

Perhaps someone who has their machine with them can confirm that this is the case? [I'm at the office just now, so can't!]

sleepie

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 11:13:33 AM »
Thekanester I think you're correct about NTFS.  My external Hard Drive is NTFS.  I'm sure once once this minibook becomes popular a fix for NTFS format will be available.

Sleepie

oldbloke

• Hemel Hempstead
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 08:15:38 PM »
Thekanester I think you're correct about NTFS.  My external Hard Drive is NTFS.  I'm sure once once this minibook becomes popular a fix for NTFS format will be available.

Sleepie

My OneT+ recognises and reads an external HD, via a USB2.0 enclosure, if formatted FAT/FAT32 but NOT in NTFS format.
Just as you would expect.

Martin
I know I have my brain backed-up somewhere............

Kol

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2008, 12:53:16 PM »
Hi,

I can confirm that this little machine doesn't recognise the Apple iTouch 16Gb (not that I thought it would), unknown file system.

Cheers

Kol

Waseem

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2008, 04:50:19 PM »
From what I remember reading max it suppourts is 4GB. USB/SD

Leven2e

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 08:54:22 PM »
no.only if we talk about SD careds.USB Hard drives are different.
And it can only be Fat16,Fat32
The Hun.

iron.hide

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2009, 04:41:25 PM »
Maplin claim that their minibook does not support external HDD,(http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=225532&source=1) is the maplin computer different to the computers that everyone on this site has tested? or are they just assuming that most people are using NTFS HDD? Is it safe to assume that if the minibook supports one external disc then it is likely to support most others, in particular this one: (http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=222810&source=1)?

If an 8GB SD card contains less than 4GB of data will it work with The minibook?

Leven2e

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 05:07:49 PM »
I think that information is wrong,or at least dated.It does support,especially with the updates,but it's more than likely,that this patch is already up and running.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 05:09:58 PM by Leven2e »
The Hun.

iron.hide

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 06:51:43 PM »
Thanks for your help.

shazelgrave

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2009, 12:58:11 PM »
I have a couple of old computers lying about. One of them had a 120Gig hard drive in it. A quick trip to CCL for a HDD enclosure, £18, and Bobs your uncle. Quickest way to empty the drive, I know, I'll format it DOH!
NTFS does not work.

Luckily I had a '98 startup disc. So after a quick :-) fdisk and a little messing about I now have an external 120gig HDD that works with my CnMBook.

Leven2e

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2009, 09:03:02 PM »
must be heavier than that netbook itself  :D
The Hun.

shazelgrave

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 01:07:03 PM »
and nearly as big :) Still, I can practice my skipping with the leads :D

alsaf

• Cnm Minibook Mucking About
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 11:10:54 PM »
I connected an Iriver H120 MP3 player which has a 20Gb hard drive to the minibook and it recognises it. I played a few MP3 files with success.

I also tried a 320Gb external hard drive and a 2Gb Sandisk Sansa M240 MP3 player (tried both MTP and MSC mode) but with no success but I think that's because they have FAT32 partitions.