Author Topic: Deleting icons  (Read 5209 times)

chris

Deleting icons
« on: December 24, 2008, 03:44:39 PM »
can anyone tell me how to delete icons on the Elonex onet?
i have a few icons from programs i have installed and they don't work, and i don't really need them, so i want to delete them, but how do i do it?
i also have 2 Abiwords, one that was already on the onet and another i installed by mistake not realising it was the same thing!!

please be gentle! not too technical!!!!!

chris.

Leven2e

Re: Deleting icons
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2008, 04:42:15 PM »
Go to /share/pixmaps,find the one you don't need (something like blabla.Abiword.desktop) and delete it,or just delete the ".desktop" extension by renaming it,and if yiu want it back later (you change your mind) you can always addthe ".desktop" extension,so it will show again.

chris

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2008, 08:10:43 PM »
thanks for your reply,
just had a look there but can't find what i'm looking for.......but never mind.....

bafni

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2008, 01:06:36 PM »
You should try uninstalling the apps first.

If that doesn't work then yes, delete or rename the .desktop file, but it's in share/applications, only the icon is in pixmaps.

The only problems with that is that you will have to know which of the duplicate ones you want to keep and which one you want to delete, and that the app will still be taking up space on your system, unless you can locate all it's files/folders and delete them too.

Option 3: Start again with a clean image.

Leven2e

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2008, 02:04:14 PM »
yeah,just uninstall the duplicates,it doesn't take a minute to reinstall it anyway..

chris

« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2008, 04:35:35 PM »
ok, found the /share/application...............how do i delete the ones i don't want?
when i right click there is no delete!
here is one i want to get rid of.........................

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Exec=XipWord
Icon=XipWord.png
CoolIcon=XipWord2.png
Name=Sky Word
Name[zh_CN]=文字处理器
WinTitle=Sky Word
Type=Application
ItemIndex=0
Categories=2

thanks for your help.

Leven2e

« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2008, 05:48:11 PM »
u dont need to open it.locate the xipworld,and try right click.delete or get rid of the ".desktop" extension by renaming.

glassjaw

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2009, 09:41:19 AM »
Easy to delete files in linux (lol).  Use the shell (or xterm) and navigate using cd.

cd /share/applications

From here you can list all files

ls -la

To delete a file use rm and the filename e.g.

rm xip-0025-firefox.desktop

This removes the link to the elonex desktop tabs.  You won't see the change until you restart the laptop.  Be very careful here and do not delete the wrong file.  I found that for some reason I would get some duplicates, and you could easily delete the wrong one.  In order to make sure it was the right one I would look at it in vi.   vi is a big hard to use so avoid it if you dont know.

vi xip-0025-firefox.desktop

This will load the file into a simple text editor called vi.  From there you can see the Categories and ItemIndex numbers.  Categories are 1 to 5 where Internet tab is 1 and Others tab is 5.  ItemIndex is 0 to 14 where the first icon in a tab is at 0 location and the last icon in the tab is at 14.  This method allows you to double-check that you have got the right file.

Do nothing in vi unless you know what to do.  To quit vi press Esc once and to not save the file with changes (just in case you screwed up) type :q! which means command quit and don't save.  If at any point to make a mistake and fall into text editing mode (many ways to do this) press Esc and use the :q! command.