Author Topic: connecting to Janet network  (Read 5847 times)

lordlimpet

connecting to Janet network
« on: December 19, 2008, 05:34:20 PM »
does anyone know how to get the minibook to connect to a janet compatable education network.

its website is ja.net

the probelm arises because it needs a log on and password to connect but the minibok only seems to offer an
oppurtunity to enter a passkey

peterb

Re: connecting to Janet network
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 01:31:47 PM »
The passkey is for the wireless aspect - without looking at the janet website, my guess is that once you have got connectivity to the whatever establishments portal you are using, you will then get a username/password dialogue where you can enter your credentials.

geoffshumba

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2009, 02:32:15 PM »
The passkey is for the wireless aspect - without looking at the janet website, my guess is that once you have got connectivity to the whatever establishments portal you are using, you will then get a username/password dialogue where you can enter your credentials.
You are correct - it will connect on the JANET network but you need a JANET username and password specific to the JANET member institution from which you are trying to obtain access.  (If you are IN a member institution it will access the net via an ethernet port in many cases - but obviously you can't access any JANET or local services only  http, ftp etc  since you are not authenticated.) 

utd_grant

• This is not me (sorry to disappoint !)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2009, 04:00:48 PM »
I think your best bet is to ask the sysadmin at the educational establishment how to gain access through the Internet (if you're trying to gain access from home) or through wireless (if you're on the campus itself and they have WAP's). Would a TELNET client be of any use or do they use a Web front-end ?
Elonex ONEt: user since Xmas 2008.
OS Version: ELX-V07 + extras
Ubuntu: user since May 2008.
Windows:  user/programmer since the dawn of time. :)
Linux Level: working towards 'Intermediate'.

Emmadw

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:40:57 PM »
If your university is part of Eduroam ( http://www.eduroam.org/ ) then you might find it easier to go through that.

However, I've found that I still can't get onto my University system (granted, it's with an OLPC rather than a CNM book) due to the particular type of certificate we have to have. At other Universities (with less secure wifi networks) I've got on easily. (Again, with the OLPC, rather than the CNM book - but both are Linux based).

(Only recently acquired CNM from nephew who was fed up of it not playing YouTube etc., so he's now got an Acer Aspire One & iv'e got the CNM book - lack of YouTube not being an issue for me!)

Whiskers

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2009, 02:17:37 PM »
[...]

(Only recently acquired CNM from nephew who was fed up of it not playing YouTube etc., so he's now got an Acer Aspire One & iv'e got the CNM book - lack of YouTube not being an issue for me!)

The "Video Online" package from the downloads page at <http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/> does 'play' YouTube videos.
CnMbook user since March 2009; Linux user since about 2003.

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2009, 03:13:19 PM »
[...]
The "Video Online" package from the downloads page at <http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/> does 'play' YouTube videos.
Have you tried?

Unh.

Emmadw

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2009, 05:10:18 PM »
We did try & managed to get it working, sort of, though it only played the ones that it selected, from memory, not the ones that he wanted to play.

Also looked at using a YouTube download site (despite knowing they're not that "legal") & that worked, but a pain.
Easier to swap with him & me have the smaller, lighter one to use as a PDA with better than average keyboard & him to have Acer Aspire :)

Whiskers

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:49:49 PM »
[...]
Have you tried?

Unh.

Yes; I'm watching the YouTube Orchestra from Carnegie Hall right now, 15 minutes into a one hour clip (and using a different computer for typing this!).  It certainly isn't even close to normal TV, but it is just about bearable most of the time, as a novelty. 

I certainly wouldn't want to rely on the picture as a guide to heart surgery, too many frames get dropped, but for light entertainment it's tolerable.

The trick seems to be to set the 'cache' to the minimum of 1 second, so that the processor has as little work to do as possible - which does of course leave you at very much at the mercy of your internet connection.  I suspect the characteristics of individual clips also have an effect.

Whiskers

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 01:13:47 AM »
[...]
Yes; I'm watching the YouTube Orchestra from Carnegie Hall right now, 15 minutes into a one hour clip (and using a different computer for typing this!).  It certainly isn't even close to normal TV, but it is just about bearable most of the time, as a novelty. 

I certainly wouldn't want to rely on the picture as a guide to heart surgery, too many frames get dropped, but for light entertainment it's tolerable.

The trick seems to be to set the 'cache' to the minimum of 1 second, so that the processor has as little work to do as possible - which does of course leave you at very much at the mercy of your internet connection.  I suspect the characteristics of individual clips also have an effect.

[Later] I've seen the hour through now.  There were three points at which the sound dropped out entirely for several seconds - enough to be annoying.  After closing the application I ran 'top' in Xterm and saw that the 'load average' had been between 2 and 3 for all three periods shown - so probably for the whole hour (and the battery had given up a lot of juice).  That shows that machine was working pretty hard to keep up.  (There's a rather technical explanation of what 'load average' means, here <http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/9001>).