Author Topic: Huawei E160G - Driver  (Read 20191 times)

maartenvonz

Huawei E160G - Driver
« on: November 30, 2008, 09:47:46 AM »
Hi,

I was issued a Huawei E160G dongle with my 3g contract. I have tried to install the E220 driver, but it fails to connect, with the error that it has timed out.

When I plug it in I get the Wireless Connection dialog box up, but even if I put in the properties listed in the E220 driver page, I get the Time Out, Link Down error.

Does anyone have any idea how I can go about getting this to work?

Thanks.

j0nno

Re: Huawei E160G - Driver
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 08:30:36 PM »
hi there, i recently got a cnm minibook from maplins and i am getting one of those e160's on fri, 12 mth payg starter kit works out cheeper then contract. ;D

but for now have you still got v69 showing in the left hand screen when you boot up, or have you upgraded to v70 which is what you need to then have the drivers already installed.

http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/ then click on cnmbook, downloads and you will see the drivers / instructions for 3g modems and how to install them.

i already upgraded to v70 and fingers crossed should work with new dongle on fri.

i hope this is of some help to you and that you haven't already been here, i'll let you know how mine worked out when it turns up ;)

j0nno

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 05:36:06 PM »
 :D im see the date of your posting afterwards.

i finally got my e160g from 3 on sat just gone, so far i have the same problem as you. it works ok on windows pc, connects and dl pages ok, but cant get it to conect on the minibook.
i have had the e220 working ok on the minibook, so am puzzled atm as to why. ???

did you ever sort it out or did you get a different modem.

Safety Smurf

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2009, 04:28:49 PM »
Ditto, I've just tried the same with no results. When loading up the modem driver I got an Info message stating "will only work with V70 kernel" (or something similar). I'm not sure whether it comes up regardless or whether it comes up if the system thinks that V70 isn't installed, which it is!

davemoore

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2009, 04:47:04 PM »
Been doing some "playing" with this - It appears that the 160 uses part of the 220 drivers but that there is "other" communication going on e.g. stick my 220 in - success - stick my 10 in  "Time Out" and no contact. No problem in windows but they do bring up different drivers/interfaces! My solution? use the sim out of my 160 (£79 from Makro (+VAT) for 12 months 12Gb - not bad!) and put it in my 220 and hey voila - success - well at least I can use my 12 month top up! I have played around with both the 160 and the 220 with 3MX RC1- same results as default OS but all drivers patched up to date as far as poss and with 3MX RC2 where it dont work at all (either of them!) Hope this is of some help?

Metradio

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 11:40:01 PM »
Purchased a Minibook from Maplin in Slough today, with the pre-installed V70 firmware it detected my E160G mobile broadband dongle on the '3' network and after entering the network connection info from the www.cnmlifestyle.com site it connected and ran no problem..

Mike

j0nno

« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 02:33:48 PM »
got it sorted out now. even though i hav v70 installed, i had to download the drivers for the modem and the other 2 drivers above it just in case, then install them, shutdown and restart. modem now connects ok every time

cnmlifestyle

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2009, 12:31:04 PM »
The necessary steps to get a 3G broadband modem working (depending on model) are:

1. Make sure the Firmware is upgraded to V70.
2. Make sure drivers for the E220 modem are installed (they contain some necessary software which is used by later drivers).
3 .Make sure the E160G / E169G drivers are installed.
4 .Follow the setup guide for the operator you are with from www.cnmlifestyle.com.

Hopefully this will resolve any problems you are having, if not please email us at support@cnmlifestyle.com for further assistance.

alsaf

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2009, 12:31:37 AM »
Can you please check this link as the issue may be to do with the fact you might have to use GPRS and change your DNS server settings.

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php?PHPSESSID=f3764c66dbdb961c4a19befb6bd34213&topic=425.0

You might have to google for 3G GPRS settings.

Can you please reply back if successful or not.