Author Topic: How to move icons to other tabs  (Read 7718 times)

tonyk

How to move icons to other tabs
« on: November 21, 2008, 02:29:02 PM »
A few days ago Garry shared how to move icons in this thread...

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,123.0.html

See post 11 onwards. You'll need to be able to browse outside your My Documents folder and use a text editor such as Nedit.

As this is so useful I thought it's worth posting in this section of the forum for easy reference! :)
Onet + 4GB Transcend SD card

Leven2e

posting
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:51:16 PM »
nice one
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 02:37:49 PM by Leven2e »
The Hun.

bafni

Re: How to move icons to other tabs (& other Desktop Mods)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2008, 09:15:24 AM »
Guess the next thing is to track down the metrics and make room for more icons/more tabs :-)

More icons is so simple. Go into /etc and open desktop.conf

You will find:
ICON_ROW=3
ICON_COL=5

Simply edit these, the desktop automatically rescales everything to make it fit (after you reboot)

I now have:
ICON_ROW=5
ICON_COL=6

giving me double the amount of icons (but you need good eyesight  :))

I'm not sure about maximum number of icons you can have, they do get very small very quick. I tried editing other settings in desktop.conf, such as ICON_SCALE, ICON_BORDER, ICON_SIZE & FONT_SIZE, but it seemed to make no difference.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2008, 09:18:45 AM by Garry »

bafni

Re: How to move icons to other tabs (& other Desktop Mods)
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:26:56 AM »
More Tabs is a little more complicated

Go back into /etc and open desktop.conf again

at the bottom you will find:
LABEL_COUNT=5
LABEL_MAX=5

edit these to read:
LABEL_COUNT=6
LABEL_MAX=6

save it back

next go into /share/matchbox/vfolders

open 0005.directory and change the Name & Match Settings. The name can be whatever you want but Match must = 6

Mine reads:
Name=Stuff
Icon=mbfolder.png
CoolIcon=mbfolder.png
Type=Directory
Match=6

mbfolder.png is a generic folder icon but you can use any png in /share/pixmaps/ (or make your own)

Now save it back as 0006.directory

Next open Root.order and add 0006 to the end of the list

Save it back and Reboot

Not sure how many more you can add but given the width of the screen, unless you use very short names, probably only one more.

I've just realised that I've made enough room for another 105 apps on my desktop! Do that many programs actually exist for these things?  ;D

Leven2e

Re: How to move icons to other tabs
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2008, 09:49:25 PM »
Thanks for the info! Can you tell me how to create Icons, or rather shortcuts on the desktop (pointing to a website) ?
Cheers,Levi
The Hun.

glassjaw

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2009, 09:48:26 AM »
Gary, loved the extra icons in the tabs.  I was worried that 75 icons in total were not going to be enough but the info on changing columns and rows worked a treat!  I now have 30 available slots on each tab (5x30=150) instead of (5x15=75).

I am going to give the extra tab a try.  Keep the info coming, there are so few places where these laptops are documented.

glassjaw

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2009, 10:02:04 AM »
I just tried to add another tab to the desktop and got a bad crash (lol) - The grey x-windows type interface appeared and the Elonex desktop with tabs did not!  Luckily I have the root access (CTRL-ALT-F3) installed and used that to remove the 0006.directory file and edit Root.order back to the original.

I have re-read your post and reckon I have missed something somewhere.  I will try again once my heart rate stops fluctuating!  I have had this laptop a day and it is so much fun trying not to break it.

:-)

CnMC

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2009, 02:30:17 PM »
Hi, I've got Xterm installed and im trying to move some icons around any idea how i can actually edit the files? I have no clue, im hopeless at this stuff :( I used the internet to see my files and ive found all the desktop configs but im just stuck on editing them? Please need some detail :( Thanks!

CnMC

Jay Turner

« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2009, 04:39:36 PM »
install mc and  typr mc in xterm, and then find the file and press F4 make the cahnges , F10, yes.
Elonex OneT + Software hacks + 4Gig SD card

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2009, 04:48:11 PM »
That's what I thought at first... use MC. Wrote a post here, then deleted it after re-reading CnMc's post - it's icons he wants to edit so needs a paint package... Is that correct CnMc, you want to edit Icons?

Why not move them over to Windoze and edit them there for now?

.d.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 04:52:01 PM by Unhban »

Leven2e

« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2009, 04:58:59 PM »
Or install gFTP to browse your files ,install "Nedit" to edit.Start gFTP,browse to the file you wanna edit/change .
Before editing,you must tell the program what to use to edit,view,etc.
To tell him what the default program for editing ,go to the top left corner: FTP>Options... Then you will see a panel with a couple of tabs.
At the first tab type "nedit" where the "Edit program:" is.Apply,OK.
The Hun.

CnMC

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2009, 06:22:57 PM »
That's what I thought at first... use MC. Wrote a post here, then deleted it after re-reading CnMc's post - it's icons he wants to edit so needs a paint package... Is that correct CnMc, you want to edit Icons?

.d.

Oh sorry, no I meant how I can move changes apply. Thanks for the info though! Oh and where can i download MC and how can i use it? Thanks for everything!

Jay Turner

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2009, 07:35:50 PM »

.d.

Oh sorry, no I meant how I can move changes apply. Thanks for the info though! Oh and where can i download MC and how can i use it? Thanks for everything!
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jostht/epc/midnight_commander-R3-01(20080907).info
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jostht/epc/midnight_commander-R3-01(20080907).patch
install ten open xterm (http://www.xs4all.nl/~jostht/epc/xterm-R3-01(20080909).info http://www.xs4all.nl/~jostht/epc/xterm-R3-01(20080909).xap) and type i9n mc and press enter
Elonex OneT + Software hacks + 4Gig SD card

CnMC

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2009, 09:17:40 PM »
Hey thanks wikiguy for that quick reply! Now how on earth do i copy and paste I see a copy button but paste? Help much appreciated Thanks!

Leven2e

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2009, 10:39:11 PM »
Ctrl+Shift+V
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:28:37 PM by Leven2e »
The Hun.