Author Topic: DDR2  (Read 4771 times)

Leven2e

DDR2
« on: November 14, 2008, 09:16:36 PM »
Has anyone opened these little beasts with the aim of upgrading the memory somehow? It's not that simple,is it?We still should manage it somehow.
Is it really that difficult to have it supported software wise??

tonyk

Re: DDR2
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2008, 10:01:49 AM »
I've been tempted but I've left it alone - so far. It would be good to put some extra ram in these things, I'm sure it would make a difference. But the only part that looks easily removable is the battery section.

rmotters

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »
The memory is soldered to the board.

Check out this page of Ard's Wiki: http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/HardwareLayout
and search for "Hynix".

tonyk

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 10:39:36 AM »
The memory is soldered to the board.

Check out this page of Ard's Wiki: http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/HardwareLayout
and search for "Hynix".

I guessed it was probably soldered. Oh well!

ezion

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 07:08:30 AM »
Still waiting for my Trendtac 700 epc to arrive. Specially intrested in it for hardware hacking possibilities.

From the photos it looks like SDRAM and to have those soldered on the board is not the end of the world.
Considering the hight of some other components in the area there might be enough hight to piggyback the ICs.
The real question is if the (extra) adress-lines needed are reachable.
If this is the case there is no practical problem to double the RAM, except maybe the need of some solder practice  ;)

Will know more in a week or so...

utd_grant

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 12:58:09 PM »
On the 3MX distro, there is a system monitoring utility which shows CPU and memory useage. It'd be worth taking the time to see how much of the 128Mb is used under normal conditions to see if an upgrade would be worthwhile. After all, if the current OS doesn't max out the memory, there's very little benefit to adding more. And it's not like we're going to attempt video editing or any other memory-intensive tasks like that on these machines.

ezion

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 07:32:26 PM »
Agreed, that is up to the point that adding memory doesn't make sence if you don't use it.
However I strongly oppose the idea that this are slow computers.

For surfing the web without (streaming) media, text processing, email and other office related tasks a 32Mhz 68000 CPU is plenty, and could run smooth without the user experiencing slowness.
Certainly for playback of mp3 and movie files you need more and different horse power (DSP).
Point is the CPU in these little laptops have 200-300 times the computing power of the 68000 mentioned above, they can do more!

What makes todays operating systems powerhungry is more a matter of 'bad' design, putting interface layer on interface layer and the habit to let the CPU poll its own 'events' and interupts.
Imagine your self at home, every ten minutes or so you walk to a message board to see if there is a message you need to respond to. When the door bell rings you don't open the door, instead you put a message to the board.
Though the m$ stuff is worse, linux is no saint either  :(

My actuall intention is to use these little laptops as hardware basis for something else entierly, the mousepad, keyboard and Linux OS won't be needed and removed, a bit more memory could be nice though.

Lochban

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2009, 09:35:42 PM »
ok so having looked at the pics on the forum and craking open my Elonex one T the ram is indeed surface mounted from reading the serial no on the chips thay aprer to be DDR1 not shure if replacing it with ddr2 is on the cards though more of the ddr1 may be a step in the right direction.