Author Topic: Hardware modding  (Read 3002 times)

Lochban

Hardware modding
« on: May 15, 2009, 07:19:41 PM »
Hi guys has anyone actually had the LLL apart for a look at the internal hardware ? serch the web as i have i cant find any pics of the mainbord or even deatails of ram or harddisk (SSD) type i was thing to upgrade ram or harddisk or both ( yes i know there surface monted and would be a pain but ... ) any help would be apreceated

thanks
Lochban

Unhban

Re: Hardware modding
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2009, 10:29:17 AM »
Have a search of this forum. There's links to a lot of photos of the internals. It does show you the RAM and yes, you could do it if you're good with a soldering iron and a steady hand :)

(but then, using an SD card as a swap partition helps.... more info by searching)

Unh.

Lochban

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2009, 10:09:55 PM »
1st off thanks for taking time to reply Unhban much apreceated i baught this elonex 1 t just to mess about with and see what mods can be done much as i did for my acer a110 origonally im a compulsive hardware haker ill take a look for pics hear but no luck so far :s

Unhban

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2009, 11:02:18 AM »
For the pics have a look at post #7 here:

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,299.msg1594.html

(Yes, it was under quite an obscure topic name 'Headphones?' :) )

Well you can do an awful lot with the LLL (as it tends to be called on this board), thanks to Wicknix who has made several flavours of OS, 3MX v.1.1 and 3.1 images being the main ones (look in the 3MX sub-section). But if you want to get down to basics to have a good play with Linux and perhaps learn a bit about it there's a base level image that can be installed - Debian Etch, here:

http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,599.msg4037.html

Of course, when you put a new image on it overwrites the old one, including your personal data.

This forum does have quite a good search engine and you'll find that many answers have been answered already, but someone is always willing to help newcomers. Enjoy!

Unh.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 11:12:28 AM by Unhban »

Lochban

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2009, 09:17:35 PM »
thanks for the help thouse pics anserd a what i needed to know dosent look like fiting the auld 8gig ssd from my aspire one will work .. though a ram upgrade may be on the cards once i find the ram chips ..