Author Topic: One Gigabyte or two?  (Read 3201 times)

Tinkerer

One Gigabyte or two?
« on: January 10, 2009, 12:36:51 AM »
I bought my little linux laptop as the CnM miniBook from Maplin quite early on and was more than a little aggrieved by their stupidly inflated price and low power.

Unfortunately I was too slow and missed the window on returns. Much grumbling ensued, and the computer sat in the back of a wardrobe for several months.

Feeling more positive, I decided that this year I'd put it to proper use, so I went through the process of updating and installing lots of software.  I also did a lot of reading on the net, and came across one guy griping that his box (sold as the Elonex OneT) had been advertised as 2Gb but only had 1Gb when he checked it in File Manager.  I did the same thing and what do you know -- 1014Mb total capacity.  Oh.

Now, have they set up a hidden partition covering vital firmware and swap space (swap space in flash? I doubt it!) or have they been telling me porkies?

I suspect what has happened is a perfectly innocent mistake, but it's not what was advertised, so now I'm starting to feel aggrieved again.

Leven2e

Re: One Gigabyte or two?
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2009, 01:23:58 AM »
The other giga is the "extended".You can find it with the file manager

Unhban

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2009, 10:05:22 AM »
I felt just the same when I got my 1T+ last September as it looked like it was only 1GB, but a mate who is 'into Linux' showed me how it was 2GB after all. So be assured it is two gig.

Also, I think I read somewhere that if the present OS is replaced by another Linux variant that the SD card memory can be included with main memory.... Anyone know about this?

Tinkerer

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2009, 10:57:30 AM »
Thanks - I shifted a large (600+ megs -- the data for The Dig) into the extended folder et voila... free space on the main filesystem.

Very odd though -- any ideas why the internal storage was partitioned like that? Did an early version of the kernel only support 1GB?  Hopefully a patch will be released that lets me intergrate the two next time I rebuild... although I'm quite happy with the SD card having its own space -- lets me use this as a viewer/player for MP3s and photos without any fuss (my camera takes SD, my field recorder takes SD and my MP3 player takes MicroSD -- I've specifically stuck with a single storage solution for a reason!)

Unhban

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 01:32:55 PM »
Yes, agreed about sticking with one type of storage... add to your list my satnav and the Wii! :)

Cheers for the info re.extended etc.

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:08:24 PM »
The other giga is the "extended".You can find it with the file manager
My elonex sometimes show extended but i never knew what it was for