Author Topic: WiFi WPA-WEP  (Read 4655 times)

Nick

WiFi WPA-WEP
« on: October 09, 2008, 02:39:16 PM »
I dont remember ready any blurb about WPA/WEP before my daughters new toy arrived but the first thing I have read after opening the box seems to sugest that it will only work with WEP.  A helpful comment states I can easily change my network to WEP.  Yes I know I can, but apart from the OneT why would I want to down-grade my security?

Can the OneT be made to use WPA? failing that I will have to use a network cable to the router (I assume that works) which seem a real shame.

Leven2e

Re: WiFi WPA-WEP
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 08:53:17 PM »
Of course you can.I am using that as well.
The Hun.

Nick

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2008, 07:54:44 AM »
OK, now I have it running, I see that it should work with WPA, not sure what the piece of paper sugesting I should use WEP was all about.

When I try to connect I get the message IP address invalid (although it does say "Connected" next to this), I see I am not alone with this error but I cant seem to find the solution.

Any sugestions?

STOP PRESS - setting my router chanel to 1 seems to have got it working

« Last Edit: October 11, 2008, 08:11:51 AM by Nick »

Leven2e

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2008, 09:31:02 AM »
I think the highest number you can set your router is 11 or 13.
The Hun.

Unhban

• Thinks....
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2008, 12:39:01 PM »
It seems that the 1T doesn't work above channel 11 (there's another topic about it somewhere on the board), and on mine channel 11 is iffy, so I've set it to 10 and it's OK.

On the odd occasion when it says IP Address invalid I just click Connect and it connects OK then.

sand_danser

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 10:46:18 AM »
good thread this!  :)

I'm glad I'm not the only one having trouble! I can't get ONE's to use WPA but WEP works fine. The 13 channels in your router offer differing density levels with 1 being the denser. Quite often there can be a confliction with neighbouring networks using the same channel so some routers are best set to "auto".

This channel thing could be the answer so has anyone got a ONE laptop to use WPA? I'd be very grateful to find out  :-*

merry christmas everyone!

Mnet

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2008, 03:49:40 PM »
Hi,

I had problems getting my MiniBook to connect to the office wireless network using WPA (via a Belkin F5D7130 wireless access point), but no problem at home using a later Belkin F5D7132 access point (although it took much longer to pick up an IP address).

I had to set security to WEP at the office location, but improved security by allowing only authorised computers to attach to the network by using the "MAC Address Control" security feature present on the access point web admin page - the MAC address of the MiniBook is NOT the one printed on a sticker on the base of the unit, which I assume is the address of the wired network socket, but the address of the WiFi port (which can be found by connecting to a wireless network and then opening a terminal window, logging in as "root" and typing "ifconfig" (look for the numbers after the word "HWaddr"))

The above blocks connections by any computers which are not in the "allowed" MAC address list - I think many wireless routers and access points/repeaters also have the MAC address control feature. Of course I had to find the MAC addresses for the other computers on the network and add them to the "allowed" list too.

Hope this helps.