Author Topic: Emulation of the Elonex Desktop under QEMU  (Read 12183 times)

rmotters

• My blog on the things I am doing with the ONEt
Emulation of the Elonex Desktop under QEMU
« on: September 29, 2008, 10:08:54 PM »
I have toiled over this last week with trying to get the desktop emulated under QEMU.

I have managed to get it to work.

This is a very complex howto on Emulating an Elonex ONEt using qemu's mipsel emulator on LINUX

This is only people familiar with Linux and running Linux at home. I will try to make it simpler over time and maybe even get it working under Windows, but this is in the future.

This other post may be helpful as it details how to Backing up the current system image of the Elonex ONEt+

Now before everybody cries foul and says it too hard I write this sort of documentation for System Engineers with 5+ years experience. I have gone through these instructions, and I have made little or no assumptions. If you choose to deviate from the path I lead you down I might not be able to help you back.

If some smart Windows person wants to use these for a basis of a howto for Windows. I do not have a problem with that. The only thing I run Windows for is iTunes and recording flash-based broadcasting (oh and on my work laptop  >:()

Last thing.. Please be careful with your systems....Enjoy!  ;)

crylex

Re: Emulation of the Elonex Desktop under QEMU
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2008, 10:47:03 PM »
You are a gem. Cheers mate.

I have been trying to get dosbox working on the elonex, by 1. cross compiling, and 2 just using the mipsel debian programs and dependencies, but got stuck when dosbox wanted a specific version of gcc***.so to run. This gives me hope (I'm going to try to get it runnibg under debian running on virtualbox on my windos machine first)

Chris

rmotters

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 08:38:51 PM »
I have updated my blog with a new post, that includes pre-cooked QEMU images.

http://blog.mottershead.me.uk/blog/ElonexONEt/_archives/2008/10/3/3913506.html

These images are hosted on my personal website and are big so please do not abuse the bandwidth.

P.S. If anybody can help me with a file upload site to host these images. I would be much obliged. I tried a few and they just do not seem to work, with large files.

crylex

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 08:37:37 AM »
Hi

Why not put them on sourceforge.

Or

www.humyo.com

Chris

rmotters

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2008, 03:09:40 PM »
The last time I looked Sourceforge is not a free file-storage stie, it is a open-source collaboration tool to help the development of open-source software. Not sure where those images will fit into that philosophy.

I tried quite a few file-storage sites, but most free ones have a 50MB file limit. I didn't try humyo.com, until now and it is giving me an Internal Server Error, so it does not fill me with confidence.

I leave them there for now, it my site goes belly up, then I will have to find an alternative home.

crylex

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 08:36:12 PM »
Hi

You're probably right, I took my cue from this

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=160696

never mind.

humyo working fine atm.

Just trying to take the load off your server.

Chris

rmotters

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 10:29:45 PM »
Thx,

I re-read through all the stuff, in my hosted account and it looks like I have unlimited bandwidth. So it should be ok.

So whilst it is only a couple of images it should be ok.

crylex

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 11:27:53 PM »

SilverAnalyst

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2008, 07:47:48 AM »
Great work!!!

There is hope for this little laptop yet!

rmotters

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2008, 08:38:57 AM »
Emulator running under Windows

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/crylex/GeneralScraps#5253815330122155010

Chris

Woohoo, was there many changes to the images, or did they just work?

crylex

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2008, 02:00:04 PM »
Hi

No, used your images straight, no modifications, your linux kernel, and used a the prcompiled mipsel qemu from here

http://www.h7.dion.ne.jp/~qemu-win/

scroll down, get the mips-qemu, includes the mipsel one

Then just changed the start.bat to point to qemu-mipsel, the kernel, and the hard drives, just like yours, excpt removed the nographic option

qemu-system-mipsel -kernel vmlinux-2.6.18-5-qemu -hda hda.qcow2 -hdb hdb.qcow2 -append "root=/dev/hda1 console=ttyS0"

press alt-3 to see the console (or alt-F3, not at home at the moment, its in the batch file), start vncviewer (press listen), then type elonex_ start into the console.

Worked straight off, internet and everything. Good work Richard.

Chris

crylex

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 11:36:47 AM »
Hi

Well, after lots of playing, I gave up on the emulation - it may be my computer, but on the emulation, things just kept disappearing (crashing), and it was really slow.

On a brighter note, I did get dosbox 0.65 working on the Elonex, so I can now emulate something the speed of a 286! (for those that don't know, google it). Sound is pretty much hopeless.

I had to install the libs by hand, and create the symlinks, and replace one of the libraries with a different one. I'll see if I can get round to creating a package if any one wants to play.

Chris

bafni

« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2008, 07:43:39 PM »
On a brighter note, I did get dosbox 0.65 working on the Elonex, so I can now emulate something the speed of a 286! (for those that don't know, google it). Sound is pretty much hopeless.

I had to install the libs by hand, and create the symlinks, and replace one of the libraries with a different one. I'll see if I can get round to creating a package if any one wants to play.

I would LOVE to play with this, please, please, pretty please :-)

Even if you don't package it, downloads of the libs and some instructions would not go amiss

crylex

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2008, 10:38:44 PM »
Hi

Sorry, get sidetracked!

List of libraries is here, I will Package them up, I promise.  :-\

http://elonexadventures.googlepages.com/dosbox

(ps the site is more a less a personal one, with all the snippets together)

Chris

Jay Turner

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 09:50:24 AM »
Hello, Can somebody explain this to me? Does this mean i can emulate the elonex on my windows?
Elonex OneT + Software hacks + 4Gig SD card