Author Topic: Debian Lenny  (Read 6418 times)

j1m

Debian Lenny
« on: May 29, 2010, 07:56:01 AM »
Hi all, this is instruction how to install Debian 5.0 on LLL.
Sorry for my english.

=== Sistem install ===

You must have installed Linux on your Desktop, SD-card (1 Gb) and
several hours of free time.

1. Insert SD-card in your PC.
2. Donload makesd script:

# wget http://download.goldelico.com/letux-400/trunk/makesd
# chmod +x makesd

3. Edit it. Replace "sdb" in string "[ "$DEV" ] || export DEV=/dev/sdb"
with name of your SD-card (dmesg show you that name).

4. Run it as root:

root# ./makesd

5. Take SD-card, insert it in LLL, connect Ethernet cable,
press Ctrl+Shift+Fn and press "Power on" button.

6. When booting is finished login as root with
no password and type command:

root# ./postinst

7. [optional] Create a new user:

root# adduser username

8. Run graphical login manager:
root# /etc/init.d/gdm start

9. Now log into system as root or as created user and install
new software using graphical program "synaptic".

=== Optimisation ===

By default system is slow, but you can do little optimisations:

1. Turn off slow login manager:

root# apt-get remove gdm

To run graphical environment run "startxfce4" command.

2. Turn off icons on desktop:

Settings -> Desktop Settings -> Desktop Icons: none

3. Use simple GTK+ theme:

Settings -> User Interface Settings -> Theme: Xfce-basic

4. Enable sup-pixel fonts antialiasing:

Settings -> User Interface Settings -> Use hinting: none
Settings -> User Interface Settings -> Use sub-pixel hinting: RGB

5. Remove ScreenSaver:

root# apt-get remove xscreensaver

6. Disable IPv6:

root# echo "alias net-pf-10 off" >> /etc/modprobe.d/aliases

Certainly you can install simple window manager like jwm or fluxbox.

=== Limitations ===

System is usefull but have a few limitations:

1. Audio don't work.
2. Wi-Fi shuld work, but I can't turn it on.

screenshot: http://picasaweb.google.ru/lh/photo/I4eKnBLkTdyR9narFOwn_A?feat=directlink
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 11:12:03 AM by j1m »

Estrella

Re: Debian Lenny
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2010, 12:27:59 AM »
i was thinking Lenny cannot  be installed on LLL cause the kernel is not stable for such puters.

FezzFest

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2010, 10:17:33 AM »
Lenny does work on the LLL after flashing the latest 2.6 kernel. More info about the kernel project here. The kernel port isn't completed though. There are still some problems.

But it's very nice for people who like to experiment and for devs (I'm both :D )
At the moment I'm working to get 3MX-alike environment up & running based on Lenny.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 03:00:59 PM by FezzFest »

JD1971

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2010, 06:06:06 AM »
@j1m,

First of all many thanks for the clearly described installation instruction which indeed take several hours of .... fun :).
I followed your instructions to install Lenny on my Trendtac EPC700, but between point 7 to 9 I experienced a minor "problem", since I didn't create a new user nor changed the root password. From this point I experienced a login problem with root account in GUI console. Since no root password was set I constantly received a message saying "incorrect user or password". After setting a root password (switching to a console via alt-ctrl-F2 [use alt-ctrl-f7 to return to GUI terminal]) I still couldn't login, but received a message saying that it is not possible to login with an administrator account. After switching back to a console again I created a new user (with password) via the “adduser <username>” command as described under point 7. Switching back to GUI console resulted in a nice login via created user account.

Another thing I noticed that in GUI mode the screen is sometimes shifted 1 cm to the right. The part on the right (1 cm) which normally is out of sight is shown on the left. Pretty weird and I think it is a driver/screen setting issue. If you don't understand what I am saying, you know it when you experience it yourself :). This is the case with the GDM and XFCE window manager (I did not try other window managers yet).

Hopefully this helps others to install Lenny as well on their LLL.

Greetings!
JD1971
« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 06:13:50 AM by JD1971 »

j1m

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 06:53:12 AM »
Blank root password is bad idea but I am surprised that you could not enter as root
with normal password. I did it on my lll without problems.
In addition, I have never seen shifted screen.

FezzFest

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2010, 07:14:18 PM »
OK, I've got quite a lot of things up & running.

I think WiFi works, but all networks show 100%. This is a kernel bug, according to https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.22/+bug/120622 Connecting seems to crash too, although everything seems OK.

« Last Edit: June 01, 2010, 07:19:45 PM by FezzFest »

higgybees

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2010, 06:23:30 PM »
Hi FezzFest,
I run kubuntu a derivative of ubuntu and my dial always says about 90% untill you hover over it and then it gives a true reading. As for connection issues I find with 3MXU2 that I have the same problem connects and says near full strength then you cant use the connection. Some times requires quite a few disconnects and reconnects to get a usable connection. So I was wondering if some of the problem lies in the hardware itself have you tried wired Internet or just wifi. Also, will you be releasing an install img soon. Good Luck Fred

FezzFest

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »
Wired works great, WiFi should work too, but just gives 100% signal strength for every network. I'm currently trying to get the system running with Xfbdev (faster than Xorg) but it's not easy (at the moment it kills more than it fixes). If I get it usable I'll release an SD-card beta to test.

EDIT: Against all expectations, got Xfbdev working. Nice :)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 07:45:01 PM by FezzFest »

JD1971

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2010, 11:28:05 AM »
Dear Lenny experts :),

I would like to do the following but my LLL and Linux knowledge is to little to be sure if this is possible or smart to do:

- Make a recovery image of my configured Lenny (running from SD card) according a procedure described by Wicknix
- Create recovery SD card and recover this Lenny image according the Trendtac recovery procedure (http://www.trendtac.nl/recovery.html)

Can this be done (if you keep install path names in consideration or flash issues) to run Lenny from LLL flash?

@FezzFest,
Is your experimental Xfbdev based Lenny ready for release for the noobs :) and can this directly be installed to the internal flash instead of SD?

Nice weekend to all!

Regards,
JD1971
« Last Edit: June 04, 2010, 11:32:18 AM by JD1971 »

FezzFest

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2010, 03:19:12 PM »
It's not possible to create a recovery image with Lenny yet, because of two reasons:

- YAFFS2 (filesystem used for the NANDs) crashes with current kernel
- The recovery procedure starts after booting the kernel, so automatically kernel 2.4 will be used (which is not Lenny-compatible).

Off course you can flash the 2.6 kernel, but it's not recommended as it's absolutly not perfectly stable yet.

At the moment I have some minor issues with my LLL (Little Lenny Laptop ;) ):

- I get a WSOD (White Screen of Death) after using it few hours (also occurs under 3MX) which makes development a bit harder.
- Space issues. I'd like to have all apps included in 3MX, but it takes a huge amount of space.

I'm also quite busy with my exams at the moment, so it can take a while before first release.

kloak

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2010, 12:41:33 AM »
I think my hardware mods will be better off on the 2.6 kernel....once it's stable, I guess i'm still waiting for the fun to begin? Oh screw it, I'll slap the latest kernel on and start building a development/test environment on my LLL, http://www.aliexpress.com/product-gs/276894893-7-inch-Touch-Panel-Kit-Set-for-ASUS-Eee-PC-EeePC-6189-wholesalers.html

That's what you're looking for, But there's 3 generations of controller chips out, the latest is a USB hub as well...

http://www2.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16124

These kit's are the backbone of my whole netbook and umpc modification efforts due to the fact they let you add 3 extra internal USB devices if you can find space for them, heat-sheild them , vent them...ect

cheers.

Robin

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2011, 10:26:42 PM »
Thanks j1m for these instructions - I now have Lenny running from SD.
uname -a:  Linux violet 2.6.24.3-g3df7a807-dirty #201 Mon Sep 13 18:23:15 CEST 2010 mips GNU/Linux- Horray!

A word of introduction - an inexperienced linux user, having found and intrigued by this forum and Letux, http://projects.goldelico.com, I bought a secondhand/refurbished CnMbook as a Linux-learning-project, in about October. Thanks to all who have added so much information here, so that I have not had to expose my lack of knowledge by asking dippy questions - yet :). I have the Skytone default OS, Debian Etch from the Letux CD from goldelico and now Lenny on SD.

Sadly I have no experience yet of 3MX - being a cheapskate and basic FileFactory user I never seem to be able to get a full working download!

To Lenny on SD, I have added a 128 MB swapfile on /root. It doesn't take a lot of load, (up to about 19% while RAM is on 61%, for instance running synaptic) but makes an improvement. For instance I found synaptic too tedious to use without the swap, now runs tolerably, but I would probably still use apt-get. Iceweasel the same, but I still use links2 - edit, now Dillo.
The GUI openbox configuration tool displays, I think, noticeably faster.

I believe a swap partition could work a little more efficiently - I will try to find out.

For GUI I have GDM, lxde, and openbox. In the end I hope to get as minimalist as possible, but removal of GDM has resulted in display errors. Till I grasp how it all fits together, is it possible to put GDM on the back burner, have a terminal login, then start an openbox-session from terminal, as and when required?

Edit. The solution to my question was to edit my postinst (post #1, stage 6 of this thread) to exclude all GUI components.
Then
Code: [Select]
aptitude install xorg openboxRuns nice.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 09:20:57 PM by Robin »