Author Topic: 3MX Ultra Released  (Read 31262 times)

higgybees

Re: 3MX Ultra Released
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2010, 11:00:23 PM »
Hi Jake,
Good link as you say quite self explanatory. Just wondering if the program mentioned would work on Vista. My wife has Vista, I have Kubuntu and LLL running 3mx. So I will take a look at the alternative/equivalent for kubuntu then make a final decision. But if it works on Vista it will be worth the effort. Thanks, Fred

jakfish

« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2010, 02:15:16 AM »
Oh, dear, Vista.  I've never worked with that OS.  Since it's all Windows, I can't imagine it's TOO different, and once you do set up an ftp directory, it really does act as a Samba-lookalike.  I use Samba with Puppy Linux, and I work out of the same directory in XP as I do with LLL/3mx-Ultra2.

Good luck,
J

higgybees

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2010, 11:06:26 AM »
Hi Wicknix,
Found this on the little linux forum about what looks like another clone. http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/forum/?wpforumaction=viewtopic&t=66.0 . Difference is it has some differences with the software. I cant answer the question posed because it appears to be running kernel 2.6.24 not sure if its the same as 3mx. But is as updates via sd boot no key presses and a button in browser to play you tube. Could you take a look I think its for Canadian market http://www.fidelityelectronics.com/en/support/. Might be interesting to you. Fred

wicknix

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2010, 06:15:24 PM »
Yep seen those. Unfortunately it uses an ARM cpu and isn't compatible with our MIPS machines. Seems like the new wave of netbooks are all ARM based.

Cheers.

higgybees

« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2010, 10:10:52 AM »
That's a shame mate. But 3MX is still the best. Fred

FezzFest

« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2010, 10:18:21 PM »
Very nice update wicknix, I have to try this.

But I think it has to wait a bit, I kind of broke my LLL.
Most of the plastic covers around the screen are gone (speakers are gone too, USB wifi currently taped to back of the LCD) and the board with ON/OFF button has broken in half...  ::)

wicknix

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2010, 04:30:10 AM »
Ouch!  :o

higgybees

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2010, 08:38:46 PM »
Hi Fezzfest,
Sounds like a real fix u up opportunity. How about getting an old cigar box or something to make a custom mod version of lll. You know the old wooden ones.Using balsa for the new screen holder or such like.  Or something in plastic ::) Fred

burnoq

« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2010, 12:27:48 AM »
Hello !
A little how-to to solve (more a workaround than a fix) the 3MXultra sound problem with xine media player.

1 - Open nedit and write the next script in a text editor :
Code: [Select]
#!/bin/sh
aumix -v 30
bplay /share/sound/startup.wav
esd -nobeeps
2 - Save your script as /etc/init.d/MySound and then close it.
3 - Make your script /etc/init.d/MySound executable, for exemple with Rox-Filer context menu
4 - Open the file /jwm/jwmrc with nedit, and replace the 4th line
"exec bplay /share/sound/startup.wav" by this next one :
Code: [Select]
exec /bin/sh /etc/init.d/MySound5 - Save the /jwm/jwmrc and then close it.
6 - Restart

PS :
1 - You can change the name and the place of your script, but in that case you have to adapt the 4th step.
2 - In the script, you can change the sound level (2nd line : aumix -v 50 for exemple) and the startup music (third line)

Bye !
Burnoq

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 12:36:37 AM by burnoq »

wicknix

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2010, 12:20:34 AM »
burnoq: Thanks for the tip. I made a different "work-a-round" after i realized the problem was that esd wasn't starting right away. I'll include it in the 3rd update of Ultra when i get around to it.

Cheers.

burnoq

« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2010, 01:53:44 AM »
Hello Wicknix !
Let me tell you that your 3MXultra is awesome ! With it I can use my EPC700 almost like a real computer.

I saw in a post that in RC 1.1 you allowed to set the screen brightness with ctrl+alt+1 or 2 or 3.
Is there a way to do it in Ultra2, because these combinations don't work...?

One thing about firefox : I made it running faster by replacing adblock by noscript.
http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/topic,168.msg5860.html#msg5860
Thank you and Good Night (or day?)!     
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 01:56:55 AM by burnoq »

wicknix

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2010, 07:08:50 AM »
You'll need Ard's kernel with backlight control (fn+f4/f5).

http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/KernelBacklight

Cheers.

jimux

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2010, 04:07:43 PM »
Because of the state of my CnMBook  - corrupt nand, booting from SD to nand2 - I've put off upgrading from 3MX-1 to Ultra2, but have finally had enough of the limitations of the FBReader so taken the plunge.  The download was extremely slow - 1hr 25 minutes at 34Kb/s on a 8Mb broadband connection.

Loaded Ultra2 onto a USB stick and opened xterm in "/"

issued tar -xjvf /USB/USB_1/Recovery_3MX-Ultra.img and waited.

The untar process got as far as  /share/icons/hicolor and then stopped with a message "tar cannot remove old file it is a directory"

The box now boots as far as the screen where the dark window fills most the screen with an X in the middle and hangs.  I can drive down to the console and open Midnight Commander but not use the function keys within MC to copy, etc.
A disk free shows 53% for "/" so it has not run out of space.

Manual attempts to start the GUI display fail.

Is there another repository available?
Is there a parameter on this version of tar to force 'don't stop on errors'?

FezzFest

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2010, 08:40:45 PM »
How did you install Ultra then? Can't you use the same procedure?
Maybe you can first "sudo rm -rf /'' (deletes every single thing on /) except "tar" then extract?

Download is extremely slow here too. I get about 65.2KB/s, a few days ago I got around 100KB/s (I have a 17Mbit connection).

jimux

« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2010, 10:56:05 AM »
Hi, My machine has a damaged nandflash so I boot using CE Linux 2.4 uImage on an SD card.  The uImage gives a menu which boots mtdblock3 (first GB) or mtdblock5(2nd Gb).  Only the second option works as mtblock3 is reported as 100% used with no files. 
I have moved on to a worse position.  Since the share/icons directory is only going to be used by GUIs I deleted the directory and restarted the tar process.  All went well, passing the /share/* files OK until I reached the /lib folder.  Then I got the same message as above.  This time it is worse as I have a set of software files and incompatible libraries so I cannot even boot as far as the console.

I did consider rm -rf/ but was concerned as the download was so slow that I might end up with exactly the position I now find myself in.