Author Topic: Wireless Broadband Modem - Huawei E220  (Read 7592 times)

Chandalf

Wireless Broadband Modem - Huawei E220
« on: September 13, 2008, 09:30:33 AM »
Does anyone know how you get a wireless broadband dongle to work with a OneT+? Specifically the Huawei E220 from 3 UK.

There is something on the site at http://projects.kwaak.net/twiki/bin/view/Epc700/HuaweiModem but (although I not a Linux Newbie) is all gobbledygook to me!  :'(

If I could get this to work (I have an EEEPC701 which works fine with it) then my EOneT would be sooo much more useful!  ;D

« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 06:30:10 PM by Jay »

Andy

Re: Wireless Broadband Modem
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2008, 07:16:45 PM »
Yay – managed to get t-mobile web n walk stick working on onet+.

Learnt a lot during the various searching and playing – such as
  The orange option 225 appears to be the same as the t-mobile stick   
  The modem setup for the t-mobile stick appears to be the same as for the dongle
  The setup for the onet and onet+ are the same as the trendac, whereas the setup for the one and one+ are different, and likely to be the same as the eeepc.
None of this is confirmed, but various posts suggest this.

The final step of my puzzle to get it working was the post above – pointing to a site where someone has done all the hard work – thanks for posting it.
The steps I took were.. (there are shortcuts, but this is what I did)
 1. Download the “root access” hack from http://www.littlelinuxlaptop.com/software.htm
Saving it to the download folder.

2. using software installer (“others” screen) install it as per the instructions.

3. reboot

4. test it,  ctrl-alt-f3 – brings up login screen – enter “root” to login.

5. press  alt-f2 to return to normal

6. download huawei.tgz: from the link in the above post. saving it in the download folder

7. enter root (ctrl-alt-f3) and change to the download directory (“cd /My documents/Download” ) Note – you can use the tab key to complete directory names, so I typed “cd /M<tab>Do<tab>”

8. check the previously downloaded file exists (type “ls” and look for huawei.tgz)

9. unzip the file (type “tar –zxvf huawei.tgz”) – This will create a directory called huawei containing various files.

10. move the whole directory to the root folder – probably not really necessary – type “mv huawei  /root”

11 change to the root directory “cd /root”

12. confirm the moved directory exists. Type “ls” and look for huawei.

13. change to the huawei directory. Type  “cd huawei”

14. plug in the t-mobile stick and wait for led to start flashing.

15. run the commands from the website listed in the above post. these were:
   Ã¢â‚¬Å“rmmod cp2101” (not sure what this does)
   Ã¢â‚¬Å“rmmod usbserial (unloads the current serial driver)
   Ã¢â‚¬Å“rmmod usb-storage” (unloads the storage driver – see below)
   Ã¢â‚¬Å“./huaweiAktBbo.static” (changes mode of card – see below)
   Ã¢â‚¬Å“insmod ./usbserial.o product=0x12d1 vendor=0x1003” (load new serial driver)
Notes:
The card appears to load in storage mode (but not properly) first so that windows drivers can be installed from the card – hence removal of the usb-storage module – not sure whether this will affect any existing usb disks plugged in or plugged in later – will need to test this. 
The card needs to be configured to disable this “disk” option and enable the modem option – the huaweiAktBbo.static appears to do this.
The new serial driver allows the product and vendor to be specified to match the card – the values worked for my t-mobile stick but may be different for the orange one.  I found that by typing “dmesg” at the command prompt and studying the output you can find these figures for any card that has been inserted.

16. Once the steps above have been completed, use alt-F2 to return to the main window and use the “mobile connection” application to connect.

The led was flashing on my stick once every second or two.
I specified “GPRS” on the drop down menu, left the account and password fields blank, and specified *99# in the phone number field.  Then selected the “properties” button and entered “general.t-mobile.uk” in the access point name.  (I got hese figures from the windows app that came with the stick). On the options tab I ticked both boxes to acquire dns and ip before clicking OK and CONNECT.
After 10-20 seconds the led on the stick became constant and I was connected. I can disconnect and reconnect using the “mobile connection” app.

NOTE :- every time you reboot you need to repeat from step 13.

I’m sure that someone with more time and knowledge can explain how to incorporate the settings into the boot so that steps 13 to 15 do not need to be repeated each time.

The software supplied (huawei) also contains a “load-huawei.sh” script that can be run instead of steps 15 and 16 by typing “./load-huawei.sh”  This will load the stick and connect to the network and provide some ip address info, however this does not allow the “mobile connection” app to be used to connect and disconnect and does not show the connected icon at the bottom of the screen (you may feel this is an improvement) – it may also need to be modified for the orange stick as I have not tried it with this.

Hope this helps

Andy

Chandalf

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 05:28:12 PM »
Thanks Andy! With your [very] detailed instructions and a following wind I've also got my 'dongle' working.  :)

I couldn't get it to work through the Mobile Connection utility, but running the script (running 'sh load-huawei.sh' at the command line) worked fine.

Now all we need to do is work out how to put an icon on the desktop to run the script.... Anyone?  ???

mike57

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »
I found that the patch on the cnm website, http://www.cnmlifestyle.com/ enabled the E220 modem on 3, there are also good instructions for setting up the modem.

It is then accessed through the mobile network icon on the desktop.

To find the downloads select CnM tab at the topleft when the home screen shows, then when the next screen loads select Downloads, you will then find a 3G driver link.

This worked fine on my wifes Elonex One +, she uses it as a glorified PDA, so she can e-mail and surf on the move

Mike

ThatWikiGuy

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 07:44:29 PM »
do these drivers work with the orange icon 225

Leven2e

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 08:42:35 PM »
Try and see.

monoreille

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2009, 09:52:13 PM »
do these drivers work with the orange icon 225

I try it
and don't work
hummm.....i'm not sure because after to connect on the laptop (os from onet+) and double click on the icon "mobile connection" ,has this message "usb modem don't found.you can't connect" on the window
I precise,i don't again activate my sim card
i think there is an probleme with my OS,because before,i has the cnm recovery system and when i click on the icon "mobile connection",there was the good windows with the login,pass,number etc...
I think i re-install the cnm recovery and see if the dongle works^^
c-yu

Leven2e

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2009, 09:59:03 PM »
so it does work,only you messed up your netbook a wee bit then.

monoreille

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2009, 10:14:39 PM »
so it does work,only you messed up your netbook a wee bit then.
I'm sorry,the english language not is my language,so it's hard for me to understand sorry^^
"....you messed up your netbook a wee bit them"????????^^
ps:Ok i translate corretly your message^^,yes i think to mess up a lot of ^^,so i want videoline work too and with the cnm recovery ,it don't work.
So i install the good recovery file and try the icon 225 and i 'll tell you
bye
« Last Edit: January 15, 2009, 10:54:24 PM by monoreille »

monoreille

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2009, 02:29:47 PM »
ok
the icon 225 don't work with the netbook
sorry