Author Topic: 3MX Install Guide  (Read 33876 times)

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
3MX Install Guide
« on: April 01, 2009, 12:06:05 PM »
THIS THREAD IS STRICTLY FOR THE POSTING OF 3MX INSTALL ISSUES/QUESTIONS

Since there are a couple of '3MX crashed' or '3MX died' threads, I thought I would make a small guide of how to install 3MX. Then, any issues can be posted under one theme. That way, there is an easy to use guide to installing 3MX and an easy place to find out if your issue has been solved. So here goes:

You Will Need: an SD card, (minimum size i would recomdend is 512mb, Maximum size 4gb) formated to FAT/FAT16 NOT FAT32 (ignore the warning on windows about it being uncompatable) and an unziped copy of 3MX in the Root (/SD/SD_1 if doing it from the LLL).

Assuming you have all the tech and requirements fufilled:

Step one: place the SD card in the SD card slot on the left of your laptop

Step two: Boot the laptop up, holding F3 untill a black screen with instructions comes up. (you can let go of the F3 key now)

Step three: Press Enter when it asks you if you would like to do a recovery,

Step four: Press Enter when it asks you to insert the SD card with the recovery on

Step five: Press Enter when it asks you how to format the Laptops Flash Drive.

Step six: Wait while it formats the disk, making sure it is not going to run out of power by plugging the charger in.

Step seven: When the system boots, login to the laptop by typing 'user' then press enter. ONLY FOR Release Candidates 2, 2.1 and 3. 1
and 1.1 users can ignore this

Step eight: Then type 'startx' and press enter ONLY FOR Release Candidates 2, 2.1 and 3. 1 and 1.1 users can ignore this

Step nine: Be patient while the system caches new fonts, and open up Firefox/iceweasle and allow to boot. This may take some time, because it is getting configured. DONT RESTART THE SYSTEM.

Step Ten: Reboot, logging in as before with the name 'user' and the command 'startx' LOG IN ONLY FOR RC 2, 2.1 and 3

Now, this was done from memory using an Elonex One T +, with a 2gb SD card. I will make any amendments to this if needed, PM me if this is the case.

FAQ:

Q. While i was at step six, the system says 'bad recovery file' or something similar and doesnt install 3MX. What do i do?
A. It may of been a bad download, unzip or copy to the SD card. Unzip it again, and copy it to the root file and try again, if it fails, then try downloading again.

Q. It takes an age to boot! Why?
A. 3MX comes with lots of new features, and part of these are new fonts, and a new Window Manager which needs time to auto configure and be cached. This is a one off and will boot fairly quickly after the first boot.

Q. FireFox 3 is too slow, and dillo is too light weight. What can i do?
A. Download iceweasle off of Wicknix's 3MX resourse site which is http://www.freeshells.ch/~wicked74/alpha400/packages/. It is faster, and compatable with Hotmail, banking sites, Facebook, Bebo, Ebay ect

Good luck with installing 3MX!

Any questions, post here and any amendments PM me.

Sam
« Last Edit: April 01, 2009, 03:35:49 PM by Seagull Rickman »
"Wow baby i was booorn! With a fast fuuuuse!"
"I wanna go fast!"
"Tango With Added Tango... You've been Tango'd!"

This has been my first experiance with linux, the LLL. Now i have installed it on the laptop that came with M$.!

Tinkerer

Re: 3MX Install Guide
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2009, 03:37:13 PM »
Might be worth adding a [note/like to a thread] on checking card FS and how to reformat to FAT16 if required.

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2009, 08:03:50 AM »
Will Do when i get home tonight. I cannot offer much now cos my charger copped it (again) and i now have an eee pc untill i get a new charger. And the internet im on blocks lots of threads on here. dunno why. i shall investigate what ones i can go on and what ones i cant.
"I wanna go fast!"

This has been my first experiance with linux, the LLL. Now i have installed it on the laptop that came with M$.!

infoteksec

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 05:05:54 PM »

Step four: Press Enter when it asks you to insert the SD card with the recovery on

Got this far when the software said "looking for the recovery file" or some such and proceeded to fill the screen with dots.

That was an hour ago. Some idea about how long these steps whould take would be of value.

We never made it to Step five! What might be wrong.

Peter

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 08:05:13 AM »
Right... try doing it again. It can take quite some time, the dots are like two thirds or three quarters of the way down the screen? My advice would be to just leave it to load. I would do a reflash myself, but i dont have my laptop working right now so i cannot be of help untill i get myself set up again. Sorry about that.

is it in the root? it could be a bad install... try re-copying it over, then re-downloading it. I wil try to rack my brain to see what could be wrong but it will all be from memory. Hope this helps (but i doubt it will ::))
"I wanna go fast!"

infoteksec

Re: 3MX Install Guide - panic mode = off
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 12:40:29 PM »
Right... try doing it again. It can take quite some time, the dots are like two thirds or three quarters of the way down the screen? My advice would be to just leave it to load. I would do a reflash myself, but i dont have my laptop working right now so i cannot be of help untill i get myself set up again. Sorry about that.

is it in the root? it could be a bad install... try re-copying it over, then re-downloading it. I wil try to rack my brain to see what could be wrong but it will all be from memory. Hope this helps (but i doubt it will ::))

Panic mode = off

Must have been an unrecognisable card type. Did the same with a 2gb SANdisk and it worked fine.

Thanks for your encouragement.

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2009, 05:41:10 AM »
There has been some issues with that... i canne remember where abouts it is in the forum, but SD cards on this thing is like a lottery, either its gonna work all the time, or its never gonna work... There isnt an exact formule to tell what is and what isnt. :S

Still, its great you now have 3MX up and running, and your welcome! :) Its good to have another person using 3MX!:D
"I wanna go fast!"

Wibble1962

« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 05:59:45 PM »
hi,

i have  a  question please, i have virgin dongle working if i install  3mx(try) will it stop mobile internet working?

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2009, 10:27:02 AM »
hi,

i have  a  question please, i have virgin dongle working if i install  3mx(try) will it stop mobile internet working?

Sorry, this isn't the thread for Dongals. This thread is purely for the installation of 3MX. Anyway, i use wifi so i wouldn't be much use! :) Welcome however to the forum.
"I wanna go fast!"

Leven2e

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2009, 07:43:18 PM »
Actually I thought it was relevant question. 3MX install.
The Hun.

duttydea

• You wont know untill you search, then ask!!
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 05:55:18 AM »
look through the Hardware section:
http://linuxlaptopforum.ark2webdesign.co.uk/index.php/board,28.0.html

Some have had joy some aint!!

KneeOn

• "The Baby of LLF!"
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2009, 09:19:16 AM »
Actually I thought it was relevant question. 3MX install.

I can see how it would be relevent, however i meant this thread to be the physical installation process, not if installing 3MX would this work, because that doesn't relate to issues when installing 3MX. Sorry for the confusion. i will do an edit of the first post later tonight saying this is about the Actuall process. not what happens as a result of the process. Would that clear things up? :)
"I wanna go fast!"

marc

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 10:33:15 AM »
Bit new to this sort of thing, but when I went to format SD card on my laptop (vista) it only formats FAT 32.  Any help.  Thanks Mark

utd_grant

• This is not me (sorry to disappoint !)
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 01:40:35 PM »
What size is your SD card, Mark ?
Elonex ONEt: user since Xmas 2008.
OS Version: ELX-V07 + extras
Ubuntu: user since May 2008.
Windows:  user/programmer since the dawn of time. :)
Linux Level: working towards 'Intermediate'.

marc

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2009, 10:47:27 AM »
Check on my main laptop how to format to FAT 16 but Vista only allows FAT 32.  Any ideas.

Thanks

Marc